The Du’a of the Blind Man

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

It is narrated, from a hadits, that a blind man approached the Prophet (s.a.w.), and asked for a cure from his blindness.  This hadits is recorded in Jami’ at-Tirmidzi; Sunan ibn Majah; Musnad ibn Hanbal; Mu’jam al-Kabir, by Imam Abu Ja‘far Muhammad ibn Jarir ath-Thabari (r.a.); and Mustadarak ‘ala Swahihayn, by Imam Abu ‘Abdullah Muhammad ibn ‘Abdullah al-Hakim an-Nishaburi (r.a.).  The version from Sunan ath-Thabari has slightly different words but has the same general meaning.

This du’a is a du’a for hajat, when there is a need.  It is also a du’a asking for spiritual sight in this world, for those who are blind to Allah (s.w.t.) in this world may be blind to Him in the next.  How can we see His Majesty and be in the Divine Presence when we are blind to His Presence in this world.  One cannot look at the shadow and still see the light.  One cannot look at the world and expect to find Him.

The blind man came to the Prophet (s.a.w.) and said, “Invoke Allah for me that He Help me.”

The Prophet (s.a.w.) replied, “If you wish I will delay this, and it would be better for you, and if you wish I will invoke Allah (s.w.t.).”

He said, “Then invoke Him.”

The Prophet said to him, “Go and make an ablution, pray two rak’at, then say, ‘O Allah, I ask you, and turn to you, with your Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy.  O Muhammad, I turn with you, to my Lord, regarding my present need, concerning the return of my sight.’”

Another version has, “so that He will Fulfill my need; O Allah, Allow him to intercede for me.”

This is the text of the du’a:


Allahumma innii as’aluka wa atawajjahu ilayka bi nabiyyika Muhammad, nabiyyi rahmati.  Ya Muhammad inni atawajjahu bika ilaa Rabbii fii haajati hadzihi li tuqdhaa lii Allahumma fashaffi’hu fiyya.

O Allah, I ask you and turn to you, with your prophet, Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy.  O Muhammad, I turn with you, to my Lord, regarding my need, that You may Satisfy.  O Allah, Allow him to intercede for me.


Comments

  1. Subhanallah...& Jazakumullahu khairn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subhanallah...& Jazakumullahu khairn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I know you sir.
    I have a personal question for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are already anonymous. What is the question?

      Delete
  4. JazakAllah Khairun for the lovely dua. Most wonderful dua. Really appreacute it. May Allah bless you ameen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share our thoughts. Once approved, your comments will be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir