Jesus (a.s.) & John the Baptist (a.s.)

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad ar-Rumi (q.s.) wrote, “Jesus laughed a lot.  John the Baptist wept a lot.  John said to Jesus, ‘You have become mighty secure from God’s Subtle Traps to laugh so much.’ 

‘You,’ replied Jesus, ‘have become mighty heedless of God’s Subtle and Mysterious Grace and Loving-Kindness to weep so much!’ 

One of God’s saints, who was present at this moment, asked God which of the two was of the more exalted station.  God Answered, ‘The one who thinks better of Me,’ that is, ‘Within My servants’ conception of Me, I am there.  Each of My servants has an image or idea of Me.  Whatever each of them imagines Me to be, that I am.  I am the servant to images within which God Lives; I care nothing for any reality where God does not dwell.  O My servants, cleanse your thoughts, for they are My dwelling places.’ 

Now make a trial for yourself and see what is more beneficial to you - weeping, laughter, fasting, prayer, or retreat.  Choose whichever of these states serves you best, and causes you to advance further.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir