A Lot of People are Thinking of Leaving Islam

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Here are some samples of real questions sent to me via email, or through my blog, messages on my page and on my profile.

“If I officially renounce Islam in Singapore, how likely would I be prosecuted, or even sentenced to death, if I were to travel to another Islamic country, such as Brunei and Sudan, where apostasy is criminalised and punishable by death?  Is there any law in Singapore that prohibits MUIS from disclosing a list of apostates to guarantee confidentiality?” 

“How do I renounce Islam?  I am not a practising Muslim although my mother teaches Qur’an.  I tried but do not believe in Islam." 

“I want to leave Islam but I do not know how.  The religion is all about fear, and I cannot live like that.” 

“Can you tell me how to murtad?  I do not feel I belong in this religion.” 

And so on, and so on, and so on.  I get about three a week.  Many of them are from Singapore, although there are others from overseas.  I do explain the legal procedure, and the rest is their choice.  I do not believe that people should be forced to accept something against their will.  But the more important point is that there are a lot of people either leaving Islam, or thinking of leaving Islam, or who have simply stopped believing.  And I do not think enough is done to engage with these people in their moment of spiritual need.  I would not say it is an epidemic, but I would say that the numbers are significant.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Du’a of the Blind Man

A Brief Biography of Shaykh Ibrahim ibn ‘Abdullah Niyas al-Kawlakhi (q.s.)

The Benefits of the Verse of 1,000 Dananir